The foods and substances we consume are just as important as the daily cleaning we must use to wash them away. Some products can contribute to the destruction of our teeth and gums in ways beyond tooth decay and gum disease, and pose real risks of leading to oral accidents or injury.
Listed below are some foods and substances that can put your teeth at risk:
– Giant pieces of hard candy or foodstuffs can damage your teeth. Avoid dangerous snacks with all hard food products.
– Smoking or chewing tobacco can stain your teeth, greatly elevate your chance for gum disease, and encourage tooth decay.
– Although biting into ice may seem safe and healthy as it is only frozen water, the reality is that you can easily chip or crack your teeth on ice cubes.
– Try to avoid sugary drinks and foods. Bacteria can build up on your teeth in a layer called plaque, which can convert the sugars from foods and drinks into dangerous acids that can eat through tooth enamel and cause cavities.
– Never use your teeth to open soda cans or bottles. Doing so can wear down your teeth very easily.
If you need a professional cleaning at MedPlex Dental, schedule an appointment with our dentist, Dr. Matilde Castellini, by calling our office in Orlando, Florida. We can be reached at 407-351-2245. We remain committed to keeping your smile strong for many years to come.